RTI FAST Tests
RTI conducted an aerosol test that found aerosol particles can penetrate a firefighter’s turnout gear and deposit on the skin.
- A single FAST test was performed on a standard firefighter turnout gear.
- The test ran smoothly with no significant donning, doffing, or test condition issues, with the possible exception of doffing artifacts on the hands.
- The most prominent feature of the test was the very heavy level of aerosol deposited on the head and neck, indicating penetration of aerosol through the hood.
- The deposits around the waist suggest infiltration through the coat-trouser interface.
- The heavy deposits on the legs suggest infiltration through the boot-trouser interface.